Saturday, May 4, 2024

You almost smiled☀️πŸ™πŸ»

‘If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin every day of our life with new eagerness. We must keep ourselves in the presence of God as much as possible and have no other view or end in all our actions but the divine honour’. (St. Charles Borromeo)
My journey back home began with glorious Adoration of the most Blessed Sacrament in St. Peter and Paul’s Church, Cork city and ended with glorious Adoration of the most Blessed Sacrament in Franciscan Friary. Sacred bookends holding all encounters in between, safe and secure in the gladsome light of Christ.

Countless prayers shared, wonderful chats. Selfie with lady sitting in St. Peter and Paul’s Church. She wept while reading my prayer and through her tears whispered; ‘So much sadness all around.’ Then, quick as a flash she brightened and what a chat we had. When she told me that she wasn’t wearing her dentures this morning I told her truthfully that she was beautiful. I doubt she believed me. Our selfie is on my Frameo now. I would have loved to stay longer soaking up some of her hard earned authentic wisdom, pure unadorned beauty.

Young homeless guy, just out of prison. Hauntingly lost and broken. He has my prayer, all of Heaven minding him now. As we parted company I told him; ‘You almost smiled’ and then he really did. 

Young girl, twenty three years old. In foster care all of her short life. Not good! No one ever really cared. We had tea and toasted sandwich. As we walked she told me: ‘This makes me feel like a real person’. She has high hopes for a better life, study and one day go on to help others living the chaotic life she is immersed in right now. My email address is tucked safely in her sock, my prayer in her pocket. Our photo is on my Frameo now too. (Kind cafe lady took it).

Homeless folk always on my heart, I seek them out everywhere I go. Chatting with those two beautiful souls shone a light for me into that dark dangerous world. I learned stuff. Disturbing.

‘Go forth as an apostle - with no shoes. Then you too will hear the words of Christ at the end of the journey; ‘Have you wanted for anything?’. (Catherine Doherty/Madonna House)

One lady told me as she happily accepted my prayer; ‘I love this. I’m into all that stuff’. Just like my granddaughter Aoife told her teacher about me!

South African guy told me that one reason he loves Ireland is that he can wear ‘warm’ clothes when the weather is cold. At home in South Africa in the intense heat it is not possible to wear ‘cold’ clothes! Never heard that one before.

I left home with many powerful prayers (far too many I thought). I return home with none!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment