Saturday, October 23, 2021

Lead kindly Light.☀️


My day began at cockcrow, 7.30AM bus to Killarney, 9AM Holy Mass in the Friary. I had with me many copies of my favourite prayer and I was filled to overflowing with anticipation and excitement. The day ahead a blank canvas, only God knew who might cross my path before I would finally arrive in Midleton and stay awhile with my loving family. 

As always, every time I offer a prayer, I utter the words: ‘I am not preaching. I am simply sharing what is in my heart’. 

Richard, a tad sad, first grateful recipient. ‘That’s a nice prayer’, he said, having silently prayed it. I was glad to see him smile. Jakov, a handsome young man from Poland next, as he lit holy candles in the Friary. ‘I greatly appreciate this and I will pray for a Blessing for you Bridget’, he said warmly. I wanted to dance, I think I actually did.πŸ’ƒ

Next stop, Bus Station Cafe. Erica and Emma served up my full-Irish Breakfast, doing everything in their power to ensure my stay was comfortable and pleasant. Before I left, they gratefully accepted my prayer too and Erica asked if she could have one for her daughter. More dancing.πŸ’ƒ 

In Cork city, William sat on the stone cold cement, paper cup by his side. Every day he sits in that selfsame place, scantily clad, totally dependant on the kindness of strangers. ‘I have a place to stay at night, thanks be to God’, said he. He prays every night for his mother, she passed away four years ago. No, he did not have a terrible childhood, his life was always good, he tells me solemnly. Alcohol came into his life and didn’t leave. When I suggested that he seemed happy enough with his lot, he replied: ‘I hide it a small bit’. Bouncing back, he placed my prayer in an inside pocket promising cheerily that yes, he will pray that prayer every morning. 

In Cork Bus Station shop, Rebecca, a young girl in her twenties sold me a dairy milk bar. I gifted her one of my prayers. When I told her that I long to pass on what I have gleaned through my many years on this earth, she replied: ‘Please continue to do that. How else are we ever going to learn’.πŸ’ƒ

Outside the station as I waited on the Midleton bus, Bartek stood holding a bottle of sanitiser, wearing the ubiquitous blue gloves we have all become so accustomed to in this harsh time of pandemic. He sanitises the busses before they go out again, he tells me. A handsome cheerful young man, he too accepted my prayer gratefully saying:’ I appreciate this very much’.πŸ’ƒ

Safe in the bosom of my loving family in Midleton this night, I thank God from my deepest heart for His bountiful blessings. Tomorrow is another day, le cunamh De. More prayers, more meetings, more dancingπŸ’ƒ. 
Our young people deserve so much more than what our current irreverent culture, which has lost it’s Christian moorings, is bombarding them with, in this our day and  time. 
Lead Kindly Light. Lead Thou me on. πŸ™πŸ»
‘I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do’. (Edward Everett Hale)




                                                    Killian put on our family group today.πŸ’ƒ☀️✈️








No comments:

Post a Comment