Monday, April 18, 2022

Right here, right now. ⏰

‘It is the Lord who goes before you; He will be with you, He will not fail you or forsake you; do not fear or be dismayed’. (Deuteronomy 31:8)


Some years ago I remember telling my son who was filled with trepidation around an upcoming event in his life; ‘If you spend your evening dwelling on past events that went awry, Jesus sadly wants you to know that He can not be with you, you will be on your own, unguarded. Likewise, If you dwell on the future and all the stuff that might go wrong, He cannot be with you there either. However, if you stay in the present moment keeping your eyes on Jesus, He is delighted to tell you that He is with you every step of the way. You will not be alone for one single second’.

Today as I sat in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, feeling lost, in need of spiritual sustenance, wise words delivered to my son back then unfolded in my deepest heart, like softest shower of snow, catapulting me out of my gloomy pit. 

I don’t know if my words of wisdom helped my son back then (perhaps like me they will show up again one day when he is ready to receive them), but today they changed everything for me. I share them freely hoping they bring peace and calm to another in their hour of need. Useless living in the past, no point peering into the future either. Only the present moment safe territory, God’s own country.

 I will definitely do my utmost henceforward to be present to ‘what is’, right here, right now. When my mind begins to wander aimlessly for it surely will, I know what I must do: ‘Keep my eyes upon Jesus. Look full on His beautiful Face’. (Hymn)

‘This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it’. (Psalm 118:24)

One memory renews another. A lady who’s young son died suddenly told me many years ago; ‘When the funeral was over and everyone gone home, I sat immersed in my grief wondering how I might live out every single day for the rest of my life. What if I live another thirty years? How will I carry on! 
Then, out of the blue wonderful realisation dawned☀️ I  only have to live one day at a time, I must just get through one day. That is manageable, I can do that. God will take care of all the other days’. 

I sat with her five years ago when I was visiting her city and she told me: ‘Yes indeed, God looks after all my days as He promised He would, I inhabit one day only.’.☀️  ๐Ÿ“ฟ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป




No comments:

Post a Comment