Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Star of the sea.🚣







How could I ever forget gazing at the ceiling in Coronary Care, totally perplexed, hearing myself say: ‘Where am I’. ‘In hospital’, someone somewhere replied, and once more blissful oblivion. 

Much later I learned I had suffered two seizures and in the ensuing mayhem (forty eight hours), nobody thought to tell my wonderful carers that I was wearing dentures. Thanks be to God, we made it to dry land, my dentures and me, mammoth Miracle from Awesome God. There can be no other explanation.

One thing renews another, I am reminded of another huge miracle in my childhood. One night a dreadful storm cut loose our humble boat, ‘Star of the sea’, abandoning it to the high merciless seas. Next morning, standing near my deeply distressed Dad, as he gazed in grief on the angry broad Atlantic, realising our boat was gone, remains forever in my heart. 

We were a large family, fish provided many meals in a time when money was extremely sparse. Our little boat surviving the astronomical waves and high winds seemed highly impossible, far fetched, hopeless. Dad named our boat ‘Star of the sea’ after our Blessed Mother, he always had great devotion to her. I have no doubt he prayed earnestly on that grim day, asking Mother Mary to intercede to God for us in our predicament.

Our Blessed Mother Mary did indeed intercede to God on that stormy day. ‘Star of the sea’  travelled many miles, climbing those astronomical waves, eventually coming ashore on Inch strand quite a distance from our home. Not just that, her outboard engine completely intact and in full working order. ‘Star of the sea’ made it to dry land, mammoth miracle from Awesome God, there can be no other explanation.

Dearest Beautiful Mother Mary, you are always our Beautiful Mother, you intercede for us, your children, all the days of our lives. You gave us Jesus on that first Holy Christmas Night in Bethlehem. Jesus gave you to us, at the foot of the terrible Cross in Calvary. Father God you covered every eventuality, in turn, nothing we do for others should ever be too much trouble.

I can recount myriad miracles in my life thus far, each one like the first one, my excitement and gratitude to God new every time. Father God you are Compassion and Love, may I do my utmost to follow suit this day and every day, until my journey’s end.

‘Jesus is bringing me from the gates of death to life, because there was so little left but for me to die, and lo, the Lord grants me the fullness of life’. (St. Faustina’s Diary)

The Holy Souls in Purgatory call our Blessed Mother ‘The Star of the Sea’. She brings them refreshment and light.☀️

No comments:

Post a Comment