Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Daniel☀️

Today I visited Daniel in Nursing Home and I am so happy to have caught up with him again after all this time. He had no idea who I was but when I asked if he remembered a man called Eddy Lynch (my dear Dad), he replied: ‘I do, well’. My heart soared. We were off to an exceedingly good start!

We prayed together. We sang my Dad’s favourite song: ‘The dying rebel’. He even smiled.

Daniel’s tale is a harrowing one. Like many young men sixty years ago, Daniel took the boat to England and for whatever reason he did not return home. Year in, year out, no sign of Daniel. His poor Mom asking us children to pray for her son’s safe return crystal clear in my mind’s eye to this very day.

Twenty years had come and gone when news came to our village that his sister and husband had been killed in London. Terrible tragedy. Daniel obviously heard the horrific news and so he returned back home to his heartbroken elderly parents. What should have been a homecoming to remember, mere whimper at best. Too much grief and deafening silence.

After some time his parents died and Daniel continued on living alone in his small remote farm. Eventually, not surprisingly, his health broke down mentally and physically. Daniel has been hospitalised ever since and is now being lovingly cared for by wonderful folk in this bright Nursing Home overlooking majestic mountains.

How then did it come to pass that I got to visit with him today……

One morning last week in prayer in Adoration Chapel, beautiful Jesus whispered into my heart: ‘Will you visit Daniel’. Startled but beyond delighted to be asked, I rushed home and rang the first Nursing Home that popped into my mind. Yes, Daniel was indeed there. When Jesus asks a favour He organises the whole thing perfectly.

So, God willing, I will catch a bus every week and spend valuable time with Daniel. To be used by God in this wonderful way is beyond my wildest dreams.

To know and remember Daniel’s story. To be part of his past life and now after all this time, be at his side again, shoulder to shoulder. Inexpressibly beautiful! What a Mighty God we serve.

‘Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again; rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near’. (Philippians 4:4-5)

Recently I wondered what had become of St. Martin de Porres statue from our childhood home. Today I found almost exact replica in a little shop not too far from Daniel’s Nursing HomeπŸ˜€
Many clients in Daniel’s Nursing Home joyfully received my prayer and going forward it will be prayed aloud during their communal time of prayer. Reminding me do likewise in our St. Anne’s Holy Rosary group from now on too.πŸ“Ώ
                                                          Sheila and I. Forever friends.❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment