Saturday, March 7, 2020

God meets us right where we’re at. πŸ™πŸ»

‘Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar’. (William Wordsworth)

‘Alcohol firstly takes your life and then it kills you’, Actor Martin Sheen declared one time and how on target that statement is. Precisely how it went for my husband Eric - Alcohol gradually took his life and when the time was right, it killed him. 

One awful afternoon, in a washing machine of thoughts and feelings, awash in a sea of grief and at the same time singing over and over a catchy tune that popped into my mind; ‘I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go’. Almost mechanically I heard myself say: ‘You would teach me Lord if I would listen’.

Randomly I opened my red leather bound Bible, reading where I touched down - Psalm 32. As I read the entire Psalm, tears streaming down my face, I was catapulted out of my misery, surprisingly witnessing right there before my very eyes the verse I had been singing sadly: ‘I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go’. A singular moment of Divine Grace, my attention sweetly captivated, ushering in to my broken heart much needed peace and solace.

I had no idea I was singing a verse from a Psalm, my Holy Bible and the Psalms at that time were not in the least bit familiar to me. Beautiful Holy Spirit shone His Gladsome Light into my wounded spirit that day, another little piece of my shattered heart restored. 

‘The Bible was written in tears and to tears it will reveal its best treasures’. (A.W.Tozer)

‘Begin again’, Jesus whispered. ‘I will take you places you never dreamed of’. My red Bible would never again remain discarded on the shelf gathering dust. Nowadays, it is joyfully read and relished. A worn out Bible is a sign that the reader is NOT!! Psalm 32 changed everything that gloomy pain-filled day.

Thirteen years on, the adventure continues, Jesus word is true. Wonderful Holy Spirit does indeed instruct me and teach me the way I should go, perpetually with kindness, tenderness and merciful compassion in every trial, difficulty and circumstance of my life.

‘I waited patiently for the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God’. (Psalm 40: 1-3)

                          ‘If you haven’t cried, you cannot dry another’s tears’. (Paul Takeshita Nagai)

‘Christ is our way to everlasting life. This way is open to all who are willing to become disciples, that is people who know they are learning to follow in the footsteps of the Master. These footsteps may lead through the cross: but they also lead us into the unfailing friendship of God, and so to a happiness beyond anything we could have imagined’. (Magnificat)

No comments:

Post a Comment